MaryBeth V. Gibson
- Class Actions & Mass Torts
- Commercial Litigation
- Defective Products
Combining her analytical background with her passion for the law, attorney MaryBeth Gibson brings a unique perspective to litigated matters. MaryBeth specializes in complex civil litigation, including business litigation and data breach litigation.
MaryBeth V. Gibson was born in New York and grew up in Atlanta. She graduated cum laude from the University of Georgia, with a B.S. in Biochemistry, and was a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta, the National Health Preprofessional Honor Society dedicated to the encouragement and recognition of excellence in preprofessional health scholarship. She received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Georgia School of Law, where she was an active member of the Environmental Law Association. Upon graduation from law school, MaryBeth practiced law at one of the largest law firms in the southeast handling insurance coverage disputes and property and casualty matters on behalf of employers and insurers. She left that practice to pursue a career at The Finley Firm, P.C., representing clients in complex civil litigation.
In recent years, she has emerged as one of the nation’s leading data breach attorneys. Notably, MaryBeth has been appointed to leadership positions in the following data breach matters:
- In Re: Marriott International Customer Data Breach Security Litigation, MDL No. 2879, appointed by United States District Judge Paul W. Grimm of the District of Maryland to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Consumer Track. MaryBeth also serves as the Chair of the Fact Development Committee and on the Third-Party Discovery Committee, as well.
- In Re: Equifax, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2800, appointed by United States District Judge Thomas W. Thrash of the Northern District of Georgia as Co-Liaison Counsel representing Financial Institution Plaintiffs. MaryBeth also serves on the Third-Party Discovery Committee.
- In Re: The Home Depot, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2583, appointed by United States District Judge Thomas W. Thrash of the Northern District of Georgia to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee representing Financial Institutions. MaryBeth also served as Co-Chair of the Third-Party Discovery Committee.
In addition to her consumer fraud and corporate fraud cases, MaryBeth has also represented clients in mass torts. MaryBeth has interacted extensively with Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the following mass torts:
- In Re: 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2885, Judge Casey Rogers.
- In Re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2327, Judge Joseph Goodwin.
- In Re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2197, Judge David A. Katz. In this matter, MaryBeth also served as a member of the Discovery Committee.
- In Re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2244, Judge Ed Kinkeade. In this matter, MaryBeth also served as a member of the Discovery Committee.
- In Re: Wright Medical Technology, Inc. Conserve Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2329, Judge William S. Duffey, Jr.
- In Re: NFL Concussion National Football League Players Concussion Injury Litigation, MDL No. 2323, Judge Anita B. Brody.
- In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1657, Judge Eldon E. Fallon.
MaryBeth’s practice involves an emphasis in Class Action Litigation [multi-million dollar judgment in Village Auto v. Rush, 286 Ga. App. 688(2007)] and Multi-District Litigation (Vioxx, Ethicon, Toyota, DePuy, Wright Hip Implant, NFL Concussion, Home Depot, Equifax, Marriott, and 3M Earplug). MaryBeth is also retained to act as Special-Counsel to law firms throughout the United States assisting in complex civil litigation. She has litigation and trial experience in state and federal courts, as well as mediation and arbitration experience. She was selected as Georgia Trend’s 2009 Legal Elite: Georgia’s Most Effective Lawyers.
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- Honors: Cum Laude
- B.S., Biochemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Member, State Bar of Georgia Vice-Chair Operations, e-Discovery & Use of Technology Section
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Member, American Association for Justice
- The Sedona Conference, Electronic Document Retention and Production – Working Group 1
- The Sedona Conference, Data Security & Privacy Liability – Working Group 11