J. Benjamin Finley
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Class Actions & Mass Torts
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Recovery
- Defective Products
- Personal Injury
- Personal Injury Defense
- Premises Liability
- Premises Liability Defense
- Product Liability Defense
- Wrongful Death
Attorney Ben Finley handles cases throughout the country in the areas of general civil litigation, particularly involving catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death claims, class actions and mass torts, commercial litigation, product liability, and business torts.
Ben Finley is a native of Columbus, Georgia. In law school, Ben served as President of his class and was a member of the University of Georgia’s American Bar Association National Moot Court Team. Upon graduation from law school, he practiced in the areas of general civil litigation and workers’ compensation in a large Atlanta law firm.
Ben is licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Georgia and Alabama. He has prosecuted and defended numerous multi-million dollar claims on behalf of individuals and corporations and has written several articles involving litigation and has served as a featured speaker at seminars throughout the Southeast in the area of civil litigation. Ben also serves as a Special Assistant Attorney General on behalf of the State of Georgia handling litigated matters.
Ben is a certified Mediator and Arbitrator, and given his vast amount of practice experience, is well-suited to mediate or arbitrate nearly every type of civil matter. Ben is also one of the nation's foremost experts in the area of Sports Law. Over the past 30 years in practice, Ben has represented hundreds of professional and college athletes in matters ranging from concussion related injuries to contractual negotiations. With the Supreme Court of the United States' Opinion in N.C.A.A. v. Alston, 141 S. Ct. 2141 (2021), the focus of Ben's practice has shifted to represent collegiate athletes in negotiating Name Image and Likeness (NIL) agreements. This Spring, Ben will travel to Oxford, Mississippi to be a featured panelist at the Spring Symposium for the Mississippi Sports Law Review at the University of Mississippi's School of Law.
Ben has been rated as a Top-Rated General Litigation Attorney by SuperLawyers for 16 years (2006-2007, 2009-2022). In 2005, he was featured in Georgia Trend Magazine “Top 40 Under 40, Best and Brightest Georgians” edition and has been named a “Super Lawyer” in Atlanta Magazine’s Super Lawyer (2006-2022 editions). He has also been selected as Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite: Georgia’s Most Effective Lawyers (2009-2021 editions).
Ben serves on the Auburn University School of Business Advisory Council and was appointed to serve in that capacity by the Dean of the School of Business. He has also served as an adjunct professor at the University of Georgia School of Law where he teaches a class he created entitled, “Beginning, Building and Maintaining a Law Practice.” He is AV-rated as a trial attorney.
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1991
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
- B.S., Business Administration - 1988
- Honors: Auburn University School of Business Advisory Council
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Member, State Bar of Georgia, General Practice and Trials
- Member, Alabama State Bar, Litigation & Worker's Compensation Law
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association
- Chairman, Bridge the Gap
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Chamber of Commerce
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Member, Russell County Bar Association
- Member, Standards of the Profession Committee