Leading Class Action Lawyers For Consumers And Injury Victims Nationwide
The legal system is a powerful avenue for accountability and justice. When wrongdoing impacts more than just one individual or more than just a handful of individuals, a class action lawsuit or mass tort claim may be appropriate. These cases are far more complex than individual lawsuits, however. They require an experienced legal team to pursue a successful outcome.
At The Finley Firm, P.C., our lawyers handle class action cases nationwide. They have extensive experience navigating multidistrict litigation on behalf of consumers and victims of negligence. Having led some of the largest class action and mass tort cases in the nation, they understand what it takes to secure accountability and justice for those harmed by wrongdoing on a large scale.
Mass Tort And Class Action Cases Our Team Handles
Based in Georgia, our lawyers represent lead plaintiffs in cases nationwide involving:
- Defective products
- Pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Toxic chemicals, environmental exposures, cancer-causing exposures and other harm
- Data and privacy breaches
- Wrongful death
- Permanent injury
Our attorneys work diligently to recover out-of-pocket expenses, medical expenses, property damage and other forms of compensation for those impacted by wrongdoing.
What Is A Class Action Lawsuit?
A class action lawsuit is a lawsuit in which a class action representative seeks to hold the wrongdoer (usually a company) responsible for the damage or injury caused by the company’s conduct that also similarly impacted other individuals. The law allows all those affected to join together in one suit.
The court allows one individual – called a lead plaintiff or class representative – to pursue a remedy available to all members of a defined class of similarly situated individuals. Any recovery or settlement must be court approved and made available to all similarly situated class members. The class representative typically receives greater compensation for their role in spearheading the claim.
Class actions involve more complicated procedural steps than individual personal injury claims, so it’s critical to work with lawyers such as ours who have a proven record of success in these cases.
What Is The Purpose Of A Class Action Lawsuit?
The purpose of a class action lawsuit is to most efficiently and fairly resolve claims affecting a number of individuals. This prevents wasteful and duplicative discovery and other pretrial matters. It also prevents inconsistent results.
Class actions make it more economical for people whose individual damages would otherwise be too small or unfeasible to unite so that they all can receive the compensation they deserve.
What Lead Plaintiffs Need To Establish In Class Action Claims
The class representative has the burden of proving:
- The conduct that caused the injuries or damages
- How that conduct was wrong
- What damages or injuries were caused as a result
- How there are a large number of people who suffered the same types of damages and injuries
- Why it would make sense for the claims to be pursued as a class action
Our lawyers understand how to build strong cases. They conduct thorough investigations and discovery, enlist experts when appropriate and take a diligent approach to addressing every detail that could sway the case.
Experience Handling Class Actions In State And Federal Courts
Depending on the nature of the claim, class actions may be pursued in state or federal court. Our attorneys have extensive experience pursuing class action claims in both venues across the country. They understand the nuances of the federal Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA), which gives federal courts jurisdiction to hear many class action claims.
What Is A Mass Tort Claim?
Similar to a class action, a mass tort claim allows multiple parties to seek compensation from a wrongdoer whose negligence has resulted in injuries. It’s essentially a large-scale personal injury claim.
Unlike class action claims, in mass torts, each individual must file their own claim against the negligent party (or parties). The cases are consolidated because they involve the same wrongdoing.
Because there is no lead plaintiff in mass tort claims, each party can pursue a financial award based on their own damages.
Our Team’s Proven Success In High-Stakes Class Action And Mass Tort Claims
Our attorneys have skillfully handled numerous class action and mass tort claims, including the following:
- In re: Marriott International Customer Data Breach Security Litigation, MDL No. 2879, appointed by United States district judge Paul W. Grimm of the District of Maryland to the plaintiffs’ steering committee for the consumer track.
- In re: Equifax, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2800, appointed by United States district judge Thomas W. Thrash of the Northern District of Georgia as co-liaison counsel representing financial institution plaintiffs.
- In re: The Home Depot, Inc., Customer Data Security Breach Litigation, MDL No. 2583, appointed by United States district judge Thomas W. Thrash of the Northern District of Georgia to the plaintiffs’ steering committee representing financial institutions.
- In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2197, judge David A. Katz. In this matter, the firm served as a member of the discovery committee.
- In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2244, judge Ed Kinkeade. In this matter, the firm also served as a member of the discovery committee.
Our lawyers also provide defense representation in class action lawsuits.
Contact Our Team For Guidance On Class Actions And Mass Torts
Our attorneys are ready to assist and provide guidance on how best to move forward with your case. To learn more, please call 706-940-4037 or reach out to us online. We have offices in Columbus and Atlanta.